Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thank God for Grandmas

Well Grandma Mac earned another halo last night. Mike was sick so she took his shift at the hospital. Lisa threw up twice (like I'm sorry I missed that!) and didn't sleep very well. Grandma spent the day with her and both were weary and Lisa was moody.

I got here about 6:00 and Lisa looked pretty punky...I asked if she had a fever. Grandma said no, they'd been checking it...but she didn't have one. Hmmm.....I think she has a fever or she's going to spike soon. She just wanted to sit in the wheel chair and her eyes kept glazing over.

One hour later she had a fever of 102....talk about Mother's intuition. The nurse had to consult with the surgeons to get permission to give her Tylenol (geez!). Within 30 minutes her temp had dropped and she was a little bit more social.

Unfortunately when I moved her from the wheel chair to the bed I caught her drainage tube and it pulled out all but one stitch and caused some bleeding and whimpering. The whimpering was mostly from me as I apologized over and over to Lisa. She was pretty calm and laid still while I paged the nurse. The nurse put a fresh gauze on it and now 1 hour later, we are still waiting for the surgeon to assess. They were supposed to pull the drainage tube today, so maybe it's a blessing in disguise, but it's still gross looking and I certainly didn't want to be the one who pulled it out!!

Still not sure when we are getting out of here. We know we're one step closer to the drainage tube being out (oops!). Lisa still hasn't eaten and while they have cut back her IV liquids, it looks like they want to reup them tonight. Haven't really heard anything else.

Talked to her regular docs today....with the way things are going Lisa will probably not be doing chemo next week...but we're still not certain on that either.

Maranda is scheduled for surgery next week Wed on 12/3. Just hope she stays healthy and doesn't catch the bug that has been going on.


BookMama said...

Oh no, sorry to hear about the incident with the drainage tube! I'm glad Lisa didn't react too poorly to that - I would have expected much worse, LOL.

Hope you all can avoid passing that bug back and forth.

Jeanette said...

I'm sorry to hear Lisa has a fever. Hope she is feeling better very soon. (And Mike too, poor guy!) Still praying. Hope she gets to go home very soon. When it takes 30 minutes to get tylenol I think I would lose it. Can you stash some in your purse? ;)
Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Hang tough...we've been wanting to get out there, but we too have been sick. Praying for you all the time and offering up any discomfort from our sickness so that Lisa could have less.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, every time I touch my Lisa bracelet I say a little prayer.
The Western Michigan folks