Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Reporting from Motts floor 7---dehydration update

As I suspected yesterday, once I gave Lisa's nurse the update, she told me we needed to bring Lisa into ER to get her evaluated for dehydration.  It was nearly 5:00 when we got the news.   I'm pretty sick of being at the hospital, and while Mike is to, he gallantly sucked it up and brought her in around 6:00 pm.  I took the opportunity to get out of the house for a bit and ran some errands with the other kids.

Mike kept me posted via text.  At 8:15 pm, he wrote, "In ER, IV started, doc thinks it's what we thought...dehydration...might be admitted though.  We'll see."  One hour later he texted, "and we're staying. Labs came back and indicated she lost "a lot"of fluid...they are getting room ready"  A lot of fluid translated to 4lbs in 4 days...that's a lot for a kid who only weighs 45 lbs!

I came up to the ER at 10:30 so Mike could go home and go into the office today.  We were finally moved into our room around 11:30.  Lisa seemed a little perkier, but then her diarrhea took over.  Seems like whatever fluid they are pumping in, poor girl is pumping out....I changed at least 6 diapers in under 2.5 hours.  Most of the night involved an hourly diaper change.  She is awake this morning, but very uncomfortable and is whimpering quite a bit.

I'm waiting for the doc to make rounds.  While I was anxious to get her released this weekend, I'm very reluctant to let them send her home too quickly now.   Until they can get her stomach under control, I don't think we can take her home.  She is drinking a bit and ate a pretzel last night, but it is not enough to sustain her and while stopping hydration might help stop other things, it will only most likely causes her to be dehydrated again.  Hopefully the doctor will have some suggestions of how to get her back on track and get her bowels and cough (which we found out is RVS) under control.

Quick update....doc says some of diarrhea could be side effect of the chemo.  While normally not an issue for Lisa, combine it with what was most likely flu in the beginning he thinks the combination of everything going on is just taking its toll.  They are adjusting her fluids and potassium to keep her on the upswing.  She has been up now for a few hours watching tv, eating pretzels (yeah!) and offering up  few smiles now and then.  Once her pain meds kicked in for her leg pains, she actually told me I was pretty as a princess;)  Wonder what she wants?

Thanks for reading and praying!

No comments: