Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Summer "Do"

Well, it's that time of year again. The chemo has taken its toll on Lisa's curls and with a whopping two days of warm weather last week she asked for her summer haircut. Hard to believe this will be the third summer in a row she starts with a bald head. Funny how it has worked out like that. I'd rather have my baldy baby around then no baby at all! Overall, she is happy and healthy.

She was scheduled for all of her scans this week because she is eligible for a study that will be opening up. The study would involve injecting her with a virus that has been shown to cause tumors to shrink at a steady rate. The fact that she would be injected with a virus made me ask about how contagious she would be considered and if she would be allowed in public. After checking in with the doctor, we realized that she would not be able to go to school or attend the BLAST fundraiser if she started this trial. The docs made the decision to push off the trial for a few weeks (I think) so that she can attend BLAST and also finish the school year (I hope). Because of the decision to push off treatment, they've cancelled most of her testing this week. She will still be doing the MIBG because she was already injected with the radioactive dye. This test tends to give us the best indicators as to the progress of her disease so it will give us an idea of whether or not the chemo is still working. Once we have that information, we will again find ourselves having to make some decisions as to how best to proceed with her treatment. As always, we ask that everyone please pray that we make wise decisions that will continue to allow Lisa live a high quality life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm glad Lisa will at least be able to attend the BLAST. it just wouldn't be the same if she wasn't there! i sincerely hope the doctors know what they're doing if they're considering injecting her with a virus. i'm gonna be sad if i can't see her during the summer though :(

Love, Jessica <3