Saturday, March 13, 2010

Treatments scheduled for end of April

We got the call on Thursday.  A spot has opened up for Lisa on a MIBG study.  The doctor is excited, it is one of the studies that has been out for a while, so it means she will be getting one of the higher doses of radiation allowable and it will be followed by chemo drugs that have had good response rates and that Lisa has tolerated in the past.

Maranda's doctor has been able to accommodate us and her surgery will be in April as well. At this point, Maranda will get her spinal fusion April 29 and Lisa will get started with treatment April 26.  Both girls will be in the hospital for approximately a week.   Maranda will be in a normal room for recovery where people can visit, give her moral support, pain killers, company and hugs.  Lisa will be in total isolation where we can be outside her room looking in and talking to her from the other side of the glass.

Besides all the psychological stuff and medical risks that goes along with these procedures, I realized one of the toughest things for me is that I won't be able to give Lisa any hugs and kisses.  I spent one day in bed this week with a bug which meant Lisa couldn't come near me because her counts were low.  I felt like I was shriveling up every time I heard her voice and little giggle.  One day later I found myself thinking how different she looked and had to keep hugging and kissing her.  I can't imagine what it's going to be like to not touch her for 3 or more whole days.  Wow!  We're going to have to start building up a hug/kiss bank right now...not that there will ever be enough hugs and kisses!



Treatment dates were set this week and we finalized the fundraiser date.  June 5!  That's fast approaching from a fundraiser perspective.  If there is anyone out there who has experience with fundraisers, time on their hands and a desire to be part of our fundraising planning committee, please shoot me an email at lyeshmcm@gmail.com.

Thanks and keep praying!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, there is no such thing as enough when it comes to hugs and kisses, especially where kids are concerned. Sending you extra supplies of both.

So glad to hear that things are falling into place as far as Lisa's treatment plan goes. Will be thinking of you all next month, as always, but I'll focus extra hard on good outcomes and quick passage of time spent apart.

Putting all manner of positive energy into the world for you guys.

Lynn Zott

Anonymous said...

Adding to the hugs and kisses bank for Lisa and all of you!

So glad to hear that the program opened up and I'm saving the June 5date on my calendar.

Love,
Pam